The Ruby Slipper - A Restuarant Review

There's no place like home.... cooking.
 Er, or rather, nothing like home cooking???? 

The Ruby Slipper


Unless it's something you never cook at home like....


 Eggs Cochon (Eggs benedict with tender, melt in your mouth apple braised  pork) cooked to perfection with a smooth, creamy hollandaise sauce atop a tender bisucit and just perfect poached egg. All served with a little jazz performance by Mardi Gras Indians. 


I got to enjoy this little jewel of a restaurant on it's Grand Opening this week. I had an appointment to give blood for some routine evaluations and made a plan to meet my best friend afterwards. Because....fasting blood work. Enough said. 

 While in the waiting room of the lab I received a text from Bestie recommending this restaurant for our brunch date. It was close. I was hungry. I said yes. 

Truly, I am glad I did. Bestie has some good suggestions. This one was a winner!

 I arrived early. Pulling into the parking lot and walking over to the building was familiar. Pei Wei use to occupy the space and I was sad to see it close. It did my heart good to see another business using the space. Don't you just love when something finds a new purpose? 

Unbeknown to me it was Grand Opening day so I was pleasantly surprise to see Mardi Gras Indians performing in their colorful costume, sharing the unique sounds of New Orleans, the birthplace of The Ruby Slipper. I couldn't resist sitting on the bench outside to enjoy the music and watch reactions of passersby. There were some adorable kids who just couldn't get enough of the Indians. One of the waitresses came out on break and was dancing on the sidewalk. So fun!

I realized pretty quickly that I should get my name on the wait list for a table. The place was full of people and activity and I worried the wait would be extra long ( remember the fasting blood work?).  The check-in process was a little harried with the foyer so very full but the hostess took my phone number and I received a quick set up text. Bestie arrived and we waited, first on the bench outside, then in the air conditioned foyer area, for about 5 to 10 minutes or so. The wait wasn't nearly as long as I anticipated, thankfully. 

We were seated in the patio area of the restaurant. Seeing that it is the middle of summer I was nervous that it would be too hot but it really wasn't overly so. The patio area is covered with several tables and relatively comfortable chairs. We were waited on quickly by a young, seemingly nervous but proficient server.  I ordered the Eggs Cochon and Bestie got the Chicken St. Charles. Our food arrived in a timely manner with simple but elegant plating. 

The dish was very satisfying. All the flavors melded together well; the egg was poached to perfection; the hollandaise sauce was smooth and creamy; the pork was tender and a nice addition to eggs benedict. Overall the dish was a nice treat and the restaurant was pleasant. I tend to not order things I can cook well myself at home as those are the types of foods I enjoy spending extra money on. This dish fit those parameters and certainly did not disappoint.   

In true Bestie fashion we each tasted the other's hollandaise sauce and I have to say the sauce on the St. Charles was much more flavorful, being a pork tasso sauce. I mean who doesn't like pork tasso? 

What? You've never tasted pork tasso hollandaise sauce? Stop what you're doing and go get ya some! Or better yet, make a trip to the The Ruby Slipper and try the St. Charles, the Egg Cochon or any of the other delightful breakfast and brunch fare. You won't regret it. Because, you know,

There's no place like The Ruby Slipper  for Eggs Cochon. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternity Is In It - A Poem About a Minute

I'm BACK!!! And a reading challenge