Broken Things

Broken things
Broken swings.
Broken days, 
Broken ways.
Broken prayers,
Broken cares.
Broken things
Won't break me.

Have you ever allowed something small to hinder something big in your life? My personal prayer spot use to be this old, well loved swing in my front yard. It was a favorite spot of mine. I swang my babies on it when they were tiny. I've had lots of long conversations on it through the years. I've cried with friends and family there. I've laughed with loved ones on it.  I especially loved to sit there in the early morning with a cup of tea or coffee, my prayer journal and God. Several months ago it broke. Since then I've really been struggling to resurrect my prayer life. I have been mourning my "perfect" prayer spot and not allowing myself to move on. Sure, I've spent time in prayer since my swing broke but it hasn't been the same, concerted, focused effort that it use to be. 

Why? Perhaps because we're such creatures of habit. Maybe because we like to be comfortable and that was my comfortable place, literally and figuratively. But God doesn't work that way. This isn't a box He should be put in: "come to me in the perfect place".  That isn't his call to me. His desire is for me to come to him: to come to Him with the cares and worries of my day, with my praise and prayer and voice lifted to Him, to carry the burdens of those around me to Him in honest, heartfelt prayer. This is His desire not only when I'm in a "perfect" physical place, not only when I'm in a "perfect" mental place. But WHEN. When I'm broken, hurting and lost. When I'm wounded by others. When I'm mourning for those around me. When I'm confused and don't know what to do. When I'm buried in worry. When I have sorrow. When I'm joyful and filled with wonder. When I'm celebrating life and friendship. When I'm eager and sure of myself. When I'm floundering and feeling alone. When I'm searching for an answer. When I need a friend. When my swing is broken. When my heart is broken. When those around me are broken. Why? Because broken things aren't suppose to break us. They're suppose to drive us closer to Him. 

What is your broken thing today? The next time you see a swing, remember this Truth: God wants you to go to him when..... 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternity Is In It - A Poem About a Minute

I'm BACK!!! And a reading challenge

The Ruby Slipper - A Restuarant Review