French Rolled Omelet anyone?

Get into my belly!


Image result for google images french rolled omelet
📷: Google Images




Late night googling can be dangerous. 
First, you may find things you can't wait to try. 
RIGHT THEN! Regardless of the time of night (or early morning). 
Take this French rolled omelet for instance. 


I didn't even know there was such a beautiful thing. But, my friend Google knew. And now I do too. I not only know about these little beauties I've also decided they may be my favorite way to eat eggs. So I must insist  suggest you try them for yourself.

The journey to French omelety goodness...

The other night I stumbled across the fact that the French prefer their omelets to taste way better than our American omelets. Who knew? Well, maybe the American transplanted French people. Poor transplants. If you're one, I am sorry for our omelet inferiority. We do have many things you can enjoy. Like hamburgers. And Crawfish etouffee. Accept these as consolation prizes. They are pretty good consolation prizes if I do say so myself. 

Back to Eggstacy on a plate...


If you're like me when you find something new you like to read as much as possible about it. (If you're not like me then just humor me and pretend you understand my desire to read 589 articles about how to cook an omelet and then watch 102 videos on the proper technique, thus staying up way later than you really should.) 

When I discovered that the French omelet was significantly different than the American version I had to do a bit of research (remember those 589 articles?) which made me both incredibly hungry and pretty confident that I would mess this baby up remarkably when I attempted to make it. 

So I did what all good home cooks do... I youtubed it. (That is a word, right?) And found a few great videos that helped me have a little less certainty of defeat.

Armed with my vast knowledge accrued from one late night internet session, lots of butter, some cheese and green onions (who doesn't love green onions on their eggs?) and hunger....a large amount of hunger since this was the next day, mind you, I approached my eggs with pseudo-confidence and lots of anticipation. 

Wait! What's so different about a French omelet you ask?

I knew you'd ask. You're inquisitive, like me, right? 
The French omelet is much more delicate than it's American counterpart. It consists of a soft outer layer of lightly cooked eggs with a fluffy, creamy interior of "scrambled" egg consistency as opposed to the American omelet which tends to be cooked longer and has a more "crusty", if you will, outer layer. Seriously, my description does it no justice. Just think of yummy deliciousness and you're spot on. 

So, was I successful?

Sort of. I cooked the eggs a tad bit too long, there is truly an art to knowing when to stop the scrambling process and just how long to allow the eggs to set as an omelet before rolling it. I was able to get it mostly right with only a slight amount of browning to the outside. The flavor was perfect and the inside was so creamy and delicious. Miss Anne Elliot shared my omelet masterpiece with me (along with some jalapeno cheddar grits and Killer Dave bread toasted and spread with Mascarpone, because, if you're going to pretend to be French then you gotta go all out). 

Miss Elliot declared it the best omelet she's ever had and I think it was certainly close to the best I've eaten. The more delicate presentation of the eggs was definitely a step up from the traditional American omelets I've prepared (or purchased) in the past. I will declare it a win with the caveat that the technique will probably take some time to perfect. 

Want to try making one yourself?

Here are some great instructions and recipes for you. I saved you the time and trouble and have narrowed it down to these few. You can thank me in the comments. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternity Is In It - A Poem About a Minute

The Ruby Slipper - A Restuarant Review

I'm BACK!!! And a reading challenge